News

Real estate managers raise record $225 billion in 2019

Real estate investment managers around the world raised a record US$225.8 billion in capital in 2019, with Asia Pacific vehicles accounting for $32.8 billion of the total. The figure for the region represents a sharp increase of 21.9% from the previous year ($26.9 billion), and it is the first time that capital for Asia Pacific has exceeded $30 billion mark. The findings were compiled in the Capital Raising Survey 2020, published by Anrev, Inrev and NCREIF. A majority of the capital that has been raised ($82.2 billion) will focus on European investment, while US$56.8 billion will go towards vehicles aimed at North America – a 7.5% decrease in volume from 2018. “Managers based in Asia Pacific displayed the strongest domestic bias, allocating 79.6% of the equity they raised to their home region,” Anrev said in a statement. “However, managers in the region have earmarked 13.8% to North American strategies – an indication of continued growing interest in real estate beyond Asia.” Meanwhile, European managers plan to invest 76.9% of the capital raised within the continent, 11% into global strategies, 7% in Asia Pacific and 5.1% in North America. Of the new capital raised in 2019, 61% was invested before the end of the year, which leaves 39% to be deployed amid a challenging economic environment due to Covid-19. “The Covid-19 crisis has put the global economy on a drastically different course and will no doubt prompt strategic reappraisal and asset revaluation,” said Amélie Delaunay, director of research and professional standards at Anrev. “With capital still left to be deployed, the question for real estate fund managers will be how best to put these funds to use at a time of unprecedented upheaval,” added Delaunay. “The impact on the real estate industry is yet to be fully seen, but as an asset class, it remains an important component in long-term investors’ portfolio and source of diversification.” © 2020 funds global asia

Sponsored Profiles

Sponsored feature: Asset allocators – How do you track your decisions?

Apr 06, 2020

Mark Barry, Head of Asset Allocation at Milestone Group, explores how a simple question can highlight opportunities to automate and streamline your asset allocation investment process.

Sponsored feature: How is DLT changing the global securities services landscape?

Oct 17, 2019

By Jeslyn Tan, global head of product management, securities services, at Deutsche Bank

Sponsored feature: A new base for fund distribution

Oct 16, 2019

To get the most value out of the digitisation of investment fund distribution, a blockchain-based infrastructure is fundamental. By Olivier Portenseigne, Managing Director and Chief Commercial Officer, Fundsquare.

Sponsored profile: Bridging the gap

Mar 11, 2019

Private equity is a core part of the business for Caceis’ Hong Kong office, which looks after clients in China and Europe. David Li, chief executive officer, explains why private equity enjoys strong client demand and how it is being used to fund China’s international infrastructure ambitions.

Executive Interviews

Executive interview: ‘China is the 800-pound gorilla’

Aug 04, 2020

Just over a year into his new role, Wai-Kwong Seck, chief executive officer at Eastspring Investments, discusses his business goals, the Covid-19 pandemic and China.

Executive interview: Understanding geographies

Apr 06, 2020

Margaret Harwood-Jones, co-head financing and securities services at Standard Chartered, shares her insights on platform standardisation, opportunities in Asia and regulatory change to encourage...

Roundtables

Hong Kong roundtable: A ‘fragile Goldilocks situation’

Apr 06, 2020

With the global economy at a crossroads, our panel of experts share their thoughts on the market conditions, geopolitical volatility and growth opportunities. Chaired by Romil Patel in Hong Kong.

Singapore roundtable: A horizon to hold long-term assets

Dec 12, 2019

Panellists discuss the geopolitical fractures concerning asset owners, Singapore as a hub for fintech start-ups and why it makes sense to raise capital from a Variable Capital Company (VCC). Chaired by Romil Patel in Singapore.