News

Schroders gets go-ahead for China joint venture

Schroders buildingRegulators have approved Schroders’ application to establish a wealth management business in mainland China. The global asset manager has partnered with China-based Bank of Communications (BoCom) Wealth Management for the joint venture (JV), Schroder Bocom Wealth Management. Schroders will take a 51% majority stake in the Shanghai-based company with BoCom owning the remaining 49% share. It is the third wealth management partnership involving an overseas majority owner to be approved by the regulator. In August 2020, a three-way venture between BlackRock, Singapore sovereign fund Temasek and Construction Bank of China was given the green light. This was followed a month later by regulatory approval for Amundi’s JV with Bank of China. This is the latest collaboration between the pair, following the BoCom Schroder Fund Management Company which was launched in 2005. “The Chinese market represents a significant opportunity for Schroders, entailing the world’s second and third-largest equity and bond markets respectively,” said Peter Harrison, Schroders chief executive. © 2021 funds global asia

Sponsored Profiles

Sponsored feature: Another way of doing things

Nov 05, 2020

Funds Global Asia talks to Calastone’s Leo Chen about the growth of wealth management in Southeast Asia and the emergence of new models.

Sponsored feature: Asset allocators – How do you track your decisions?

Apr 06, 2020

Mark Barry, Head of Asset Allocation at Milestone Group, explores how a simple question can highlight opportunities to automate and streamline your asset allocation investment process.

Sponsored feature: How is DLT changing the global securities services landscape?

Oct 17, 2019

By Jeslyn Tan, global head of product management, securities services, at Deutsche Bank

Sponsored feature: A new base for fund distribution

Oct 16, 2019

To get the most value out of the digitisation of investment fund distribution, a blockchain-based infrastructure is fundamental. By Olivier Portenseigne, Managing Director and Chief Commercial Officer, Fundsquare.

Executive Interviews

Executive interview: The man who made Aberdeen

Mar 04, 2021

Martin Gilbert reflects on nearly four decades as Aberdeen CEO, including what he brought to the company, his regrets at not entering into private markets earlier, and passing like ships in the...

Executive interview: Staying agile on the pandemic plan

Nov 05, 2020

Terry Pan, chief executive for Greater China, southeast Asia and Korea at Invesco Asia Pacific, tells us about managing a business during Covid-19, opportunities on the continent and US-China...

Roundtables

Hong Kong roundtable: Increasing China’s prominence as an asset class

Mar 04, 2021

Our line-up of experts in Hong Kong considers the importance of fixed income ETFs, sustainability and the prospects of increasing China in the indices. Chaired by Romil Patel.

Roundtable: ‘What’s priced in versus what surprises’

Jan 04, 2021

As we head into 2021, our panel of experts in Singapore pore over the key risks that are not fully priced in, the impact of the incoming Biden administration on Asia and the dominant investment theme that is China. Chaired by Romil Patel.